Home security during the Holiday season in Santa Barbara is an issue that should be taken seriously. Thieves know that Christmas is a very popular occasion for gifts. Oftentimes, these presents are valuable merchandise that can be sold illegally by the unscrupulous characters. In an effort to help you prevent this from happening, Absolutely Affordable Bail Bonds offers some tips to make your home more secure:
- Check access areas around your property. Santa Barbara is known for it’s beautiful Although trees and bushes provide added beauty to your home, they are also great hiding spots for nefarious characters. Trees offer a natural ladder to gain access to either a 2nd floor or rooftop.
- Do you own a pet? Doggy doors are another access point that many people don’t think about. Although it may be too small for a human to enter, one can use tools to exploit this hole.
- Are you on Facebook or Twitter? If so, be aware of what you say about your status. Letting others know that you’ll be attending a party or going away on vacation is a no-no. This tells burglars that no one will likely be home for a period of time. In the modern age of social media, criminals have became very savvy. If you plan on leaving the Santa Barbara area, only tell those who you trust.
- Be careful shopping online. It seems everyone buys from Amazon, eBay or other retailers. The issue is that you could expose yourself to identity theft. Phishing is a popular method where you are sent an e-mail and the sender asks for personal information through a link. Double check this link before clicking. This isn’t just an issue for Santa Barbara residents, so let your friends and family know as well.
- One of the easiest home security methods is to make sure your windows and doors are locked. This may seem obvious, but during this hectic time of year, people tend to be forgetful. Statistics show that 40% of burglaries are the result of an unlocked door or open window. One tip is to create a checklist of your doors and windows. As you secure each one, you can mark them off.
- Bright lights keeps burglars at bay. Shadows are a thieves best friend. Motion detector lighting is excellent for illumination and saves electricity. Timers are another option as well. Just be sure to alternate times if possible.
- Some residents of Santa Barbara love to show off their Christmas trees by keeping their curtains open for all to see. This is like a flashing advertisement to burglars who may be in the area. It’s best to keep your curtains closed. Home security is more important than bragging rights.
- The Holidays are a time for getting to know others. Next door neighbors are great at helping with security. They can keep on eye on things while you’re away. In return, you can do the same for them. Nothing like getting to know your fellow Santa Barbara neighbor.
- Most people tend to get newspapers and magazines digitally nowadays. However, if you’re still into getting physical media in the mail or on your doorstep, then pause your subscriptions and hold deliveries. Your local Santa Barbara area post office can assist you with this process. Alternatively, you can ask your neighbor if they can get your mail, packages, and/or newspapers while away.
The Holiday season in Santa Barbara is a wondrous time of year. It’s also a time to be vigilant with home security. While officers and deputies from the police and sheriff’s departments will be on high alert, it starts with you first and foremost.
If you do know someone who has been arrested for these types of charges, remember that people are innocent until proven guilty. It’s always a good idea to deal with a local Santa Barbara bail bonds agency. Happy Holidays to you and your families.